Thursday, April 12, 2007

1936



1. Modern Times (Charles Chaplin)
2. The Crime of Monsieur Lange (Jean Renoir)
3. Osaka Elegy (Kenji Mizoguchi)
4. A Day in the Country [short] (Jean Renoir)
5. Swing Time (George Stevens)
6. The Prisoner of Shark Island (John Ford)
7. My Man Godfrey (Gregory La Cava)
8. Desire (Frank Borzage)
9. Sabotage (Alfred Hitchcock)
10. Come and Get It (Howard Hawks and William Wyler)
11. Rose Hobart [short] (Joseph Cornell)

Almost There: The Lower Depths (Jean Renoir).

Have Yet to See: Camille (George Cukor), Dodsworth (William Wyler), Follow the Fleet (Mark Sandrich), Sisters of the Gion (Kenji Mizoguchi).

1 comment:

  1. A super-duper year. Ordering aside, I agree with all your choices (from what I've seen...) except the Lower Depths. Granted, I saw it over a year ago.. but it failed to engage me, I thought it was heavy handed and for a Renoir I didn't find the visuals particularly enthralling.

    I really want to see Fury, Monsieur Lange, Sabotage, Come and Get I and Show Boat. I highly recommend After the Thin Man, best in the series by far. Camille is probably my favourite Cukor film, very nice little romance and Garbo is great. The visuals are pretty awesome too.

    The General Died at Dawn and Libeled Lady strike me as films ou also may enjoy!

    ReplyDelete