Thursday, April 12, 2007

1933



1. Duck Soup (Leo McCarey)
2. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (Fritz Lang)
3. Man's Castle (Frank Borzage)
4. King Kong (Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schodessack)
5. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (Frank Capra)
6. Japanese Girls at the Harbor (Hiroshi Shimizu)
7. 42nd Street (Lloyd Bacon)
8. Dinner at Eight (George Cukor)
9. Hallelujah, I'm a Bum (Lewis Milestone)
10. Land without Bread [short] (Luis Bunuel)
11. Zero for Conduct (Jean Vigo)

Almost There: The Emperor Jones (Dudley Murphy), The Fatal Glass of Beer [short] (Clyde Bruckman).

Have Yet to See: Gold Diggers of 1933 (Mervyn LeRoy), Passing Fancy (Yasujiro Ozu).

1 comment:

  1. I can't argue with Duck Soup in the least. More Marx awesome-ness. One of my all time favourites. I'm not a huge fan of King Kong personally, I think it's fun but it doesn't truly engage or entertain me. I still really want to see The Most Dangerous Game though. Seems more up my alley. Again, not a big fan of 42nd Street, except the musical numbers. I haven't seen any of your others.

    Gold Diggers is awesome, a lot better than 42nd Street so I think you'd enjoy it. Design for Living is one of my favourte Lubitsch, March and Hopkins are incredible, and Cooper is better than usual. Queen Christina is probably my favourite Garbo, and Mamoulian's best film. It's a shame Monsieur Gilbert is not a great sound actor... detracts somewhat from the overall effect. I also REALLY want to see Man's Castle, impossible to find though :(

    One other great 33' film: The Eagle and the Hawk

    ReplyDelete