Thursday, April 12, 2007

1932



1. Freaks (Tod Browning)
2. I Was Born, But… (Yasujiro Ozu)
3. Scarface (Howard Hawks)
4. Trouble in Paradise (Ernst Lubitsch)
5. Boudu Saved from Drowning (Jean Renoir)
6. Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer)
7. Wooden Crosses (Raymond Bernard)
8. The Music Box (James Parrott)
9. Horse Feathers (Norman Z. McLeod)
10. Love Me Tonight (Rouben Mamoulian)
11. Happiness (Alekandr Medvedkin)

Almost There: Blonde Venus (Josef Von Sternberg), Broken Lullaby (Ernst Lubitsch), Grand Hotel (Edmund Goulding), Me and My Gal (Raoul Walsh), Shanghai Express (Josef Von Sternberg).

Have Yet to See: A Farewell to Arms (Frank Borzage), One Hour with You (Ernst Lubitsch), Red Dust (Victor Fleming).

1 comment:

  1. A great year, and still I've managed to see barely any of your choices! Grrr...

    Freaks is awesome, it reminds me I need to see more Browning (I have seen The Unknown, which I prefer... but still MORE). Trouble in Paradise is one of my all time favourites, one of Lubitsch's best. Short and sweet :) Horse Feathers is AWESOME, my second favourite Marx. How I adore thee Groucho. I haven't seen the rest... as I consider Hawks to be one of my favourite directors, I should finally get around to seeing Scarface.

    I highly recommend Love Me Tonight, one of the best early musicals, truly innovative. The Old Dark House is good, not enough Karloff though. It's a lot more spoofy than it is scary. A Farewell to Arms is OKAY. I must be the only person in the world to dislike Helen Hayes though. She annoys me to no end. Cooper is sexy though, but I don't know how much of a crush you have on him, so it's difficult to recommend it.

    You've probably seen it, but another great 32' film is Grand Hotel.

    ReplyDelete